Friday, October 14, 2011

Bananas about Apples

I know most people are pumpkin crazy this time of year. And while even I picked up some pumpkin spice coffee the other day my hear belongs to another farmers market find this time of year... APPLES! There is just something to be said for a good apple. It's a perfect snack any time of day. I am all about apple pie and pork chops and apples for dinner always hits the spot.  One thing I have never been too found of. Apple sauce.. or at least not the kind found at the local grocery store.  While my husband and kids can go through a jar every few days, I rarely partake.

But home made applesauce?... well that's a horse of a different color!


This is the basic applesauce recipe. I have made a few changes for personal preference.  This time I used Gala apples but I want to do a batch of honeycrisps next.  Also, I like to use cane sugar as apposed to white sugar.. no real reason I'm just a big fan of can sugar... ok a HUGE fan.  Experiment with different apples and different numbers of apples to find your perfect sauce.  Oh and we add quite a bit of cinnamon in this house ;)

After I cook the apples I change them over to a cool pot or bowl and pass it over to my pro-masher


He was happily mashing away when someone else wanted in on the fun.


They worked up quite an appetite.  The little chefs paired it with peanut butter and honey sandwiches.




I may have to invest in a bushel or 2 of apples because they may never eat the canned stuff again! And neither will you ;)  If you try it let me know what tweaks you make and how you like it.


Have a fabulous day.



No comments:

Post a Comment