Friday, June 24, 2011

I want my mommy!

 Basically, I was a very independent kid.  I remember my first day of Kindergarten being SO excited and just ready to go.  At the bus stop with my mom and went to stand with the other kids that were waiting as my mom watched with the circle of other parents (from barely a foot away).  When the bus pulled up I rushed to be one of the first to get on it... I don't think I turned to wave bye to my mom until I was already safely seated and the bus was pulling away.  Had a been more observant at that age.. or less excited about my big day ahead, I might have noticed my mother was crying.  When we got off the bus at the school I saw a child being consoled by a teacher as he balled his eyes out. I remember thinking "I wonder what's wrong with him?"  I know now that clearly he was having trouble being away from his parents; a concept I had not been able to grasp.  Not then... maybe still not now.

  Now, I really never have come down with a case of homesickness.  Soon after I graduated I went of vacation with friends for about a month and my lovely hosts had to remind me that I probably should call my parents somewhere around weeks 2 and 3.   Now that I've been married for almost 5 years my husband still finds it necessary to ask (sometimes rightfully so) "when is the last time you talked to your parents?" He seems to talk to his parents every few days which is cool... but that's just not me.  And it's not that I don't adore my parents.  They're probably on the top 10 greatest parents of all time list somewhere I'm sure.  But unless there's some kind of news or special something I think a couple weeks between calls is totally acceptable.  And really by now my parents don't expect nor request more frequency than that.  I've always been fine with distance between us... however now that I've moved this is the most distance there's ever been.  I'm still not getting homesick.  But I miss the short trips every few weeks to go see my mom.  We've gone from a less than an hour car trip to an over and hour plane ride away.   It's the first time in my life I can think of that I've really dwelled on the distance.  Maybe it's because it's the first time that such a distance has been permanent.  Mind you,  It's not enough to make me regret moving... or to make me call her everyday.  I still have to live my life the way that I think is best... but it's enough to make me miss her.  And surely enough to make me SUPER excited that she is coming to visit TOMORROW!!!!

Me and my Mom! 
 She's going to come help me whip this place into some sort of livable shape and help with my little monkedoos while I try and get some work done.  She's going to be here for at least a couple of weeks =)  So hopefully I can get on a livable schedule and in a livable space!  I'm so grateful to have a mom who would volunteer to come and share our small space where she won't even have a room of her own to do this for me.  I told you she was top 10 material ;)

My mom is the most awesome mother I know. Everything that comes to mind when you think of that word Mom...she's that!  I strive to be her every day that I am figuring out this thing called motherhood. She's not perfect of course no one is but I wouldn't trade her for anyone else.  See you tomorrow mom!

Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment